Friday, 4 April 2014
Thursday, 27 March 2014
Finally I got out in the field yesterday. The target species for the day was Lithospermum purpocaeruleum, as rumour had it we might be able to still see nutlets at this time of year. When we found the first (known) population it soon became clear that any nutlets had long vanished, but the new spring leaves were on their way.
We moved on to another site where Lithospermum has not been recorded since 1999. It was clearly not the ideal time of year to refind a population, but we were hopeful that we might have "got our eyes in". It was lovely to be in a limestone wood in early spring, with violets and wood anemones giving a hint of the spring flowers to come, but unfortunately we did not refind the Lithospermum. Perhaps later in the year.
|Lithospermum purpocaeruleum - purple gromwell|
|Anemone nemorosa - wood anemone|
Posted by Polly Spencer-Vellacott at 09:17